Minnesota Alliance with Youth
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Faribault Youth Investment AmeriCorps Promise Fellow 2018-19
at Minnesota Alliance with Youth
- # of Openings
- Job Locatins
- Youth Age Group
- Middle School
- Term Type
- Half Term (40 hrs/week) 2018-2019
- Site Type
- Start Date
Are you passionate about helping youth become happy, healthy and successful? If you are interested in youth development, social-emotional learning, creating a welcoming school environment or leading service-learning opportunities, this is the position for you. Join the energetic and innovative team at Faribault Youth Investment and the Faribault Community School!
Faribault Youth Investment Overview
Faribault Youth Investment and the Faribault Public Schools, in partnership with AmeriCorps Promise Fellows hosted by the Minnesota Alliance With Youth, will deliver evidence-based programming in efforts to empower identified students in grades 6-8 in their learning achievement. The Faribault Middle School is comprised of a diverse student body and devoted staff who are pursuing academic gains and social-emotional wellbeing for all. Interventions will be guided by implementation of the Check & Connect student engagement model, one of the top-rated dropout prevention programs in the U.S. Department of Education’s “What Works Clearinghouse.” Students will receive intense, targeted interventions aimed at increasing attendance and decreasing behavior referrals; all while making a positive connection to a caring adult. Promise Fellows will also work to connect youth to afterschool clubs designed to improve their 21st Century skills and work with families in an evening Community School setting to connect them with local supports and resources.
Faribault Youth Investment Promise Fellow Responsibilities
Promise Fellows will be active members of the district’s Check & Connect team as well as the Faribault Community School staff. They will primarily serve at-risk middle school youth in grades 6-8. Promise Fellows will implement intense, targeted interventions aimed at: increasing attendance; decreasing behavior referrals; and putting students on track to succeed academically and socially. Promise Fellows will be responsible for gathering and analyzing data related to Attendance, Course Performance, and Student Engagement, as well as serving as a Caring Adult in the school building. Additionally, they will engage students in service and service learning and out-of-school supports. In cooperation with the Faribault Public Schools’ service-learning coordinator and after school club leaders, Promise Fellows will coordinate opportunities for youth and families to engage in the service-learning cycle of learning, doing and reflection. Students will receive intense, targeted interventions aimed at increasing attendance and decreasing behavior referrals; all while making a positive connection to a caring adult. Promise Fellows will also work to connect youth to afterschool clubs designed to improve their 21st Century skills and work with families in an evening Community School setting to connect them with local supports and resources.
General AmeriCorps Promise Fellow Position Responsibilities
- Build and foster strong relationships with their selected students.
- Coordinate and deliver in and out of school time academic enrichment activities with the goal that at least 30 youth in grades 6-12 will experience academic gains.
- Meet regularly with Youth Success Team to review data and identify youth to serve; track student progress; and determine which interventions to connect to individual students or groups of students.
- Develop and organize projects that engage youth participants in service and leadership activities.
- Recruit and/or support community volunteers, including family members, to work with youth participants in areas such as mentoring, tutoring, civic engagement, and college/career exploration.
- Provide attendance and behavior coaching for students targeted for needing assistance as determined through the multi-tiered system of support approach; promise positive behavior expectations.
- Maintain data entry for program records, complete ongoing youth assessments and submit weekly and monthly reports using an online database system with support from site supervisor and site coordinator.
- Participate in all required Alliance, AmeriCorps, and Host Site meetings and assignments.
General AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National or have status as a Lawful Permanent Resident Alien
- Please note that final candidates will be required to successfully pass background checks before being officially enrolled by Minnesota Alliance With Youth.
General AmeriCorps Promise Fellow Qualifications
- Interest and experience in youth, service, education, and non-profit work
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of tasks, priorities, and people in order to meet goals
- Ability to work effectively with people of a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Self-motivated, able to work in a team, take initiative and work independently
- Ability to present oneself in a highly professional manner and be an ambassador of the program
Site Specific Qualifications
- Two years of college-level courses
- Previous experience working with diverse youth
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Somali
- Monday-Thursday 11:00am-8:00pm, Friday 7:30am-3:30pm
- Promise Fellows must serve in a full time capacity for a minimum of 40 hours per week during their term.
- Promise Fellows may NOT be in school full time or have another full time position and serve with the Alliance.
As a half-term, full-time AmeriCorps member, Promise Fellows serve 900 hours (minimum) in a full-time capacity (40 hours per week) and receive: Modest Living Allowance (approximately $624 twice per month, pre-tax); Health and Dental Insurance; Qualified Student Loan Forbearance; Qualified Childcare Assistance; $2,960 Education Award upon successful completion of service; Ongoing, extensive support and training. Additional benefits information is available at https:mnyouth.net/.
- We are committed to recruiting and engaging individuals without regard to disability, gender, race, religion, or sexual orientiation.
- This position may not displace another employee or position in any way.
- Reasonable accomodations provided upon request for interviews and service activities.
This document is available in alternative formats.