St. Olaf College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist
at St. Olaf College
One of the nations leading liberal arts colleges, St. Olaf serves 3,000 students, ranks #1 among U.S. colleges for the number of students studying abroad, and celebrates carbon-free electrical power. The college is located on a picturesque 300-acre campus in Northfield, Minnesota, a vibrant, restored, historic river town of 20,000 located 45 minutes south of the Twin Cities.
To process the bi-weekly student payroll, including appropriate deductions and withholdings, to comply with college policies, Federal and State wage and hour regulations and tax codes; to enter and maintain compliance related to other student disbursements processed through accounts payable; and to assist and act as the primary back-up to the Payroll Manager and the Accounts Payable Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Process the student work payroll - 30% of time
- Coordinate with Human Resources on Student Employment to ensure accurate set up of students in authorized positions
- Adhere to Federal and State regulations for Work Study programs
- Monitor proper taxation for all students, as well as international students
- Import hours from electronic time system; verify accuracy of hours
- Balance all aspects of student payroll; prepare checks, ACH payments, and closing transactions; transmit check and ACH files to banking institution
2. Oversee student and employee accounts payable disbursements - 25% of time
- Enter student disbursements and employee reimbursements into system, ensuring compliance with applicable Federal and State regulations
- Work with the Business Office to improve the submission and disbursement processes to students and employees to ensure compliance, consistency, and ease of use.
3. Back-up to the Payroll Manager - 15% of time
- Act as the primary back-up to the Payroll Manager with the monthly and bi-weekly payroll cycles
- Provide assistance to the Payroll Manager primarily during the summer payroll process, benefits enrollment review, annual increase review, in preparation and distribution of W-2 forms, and additional responsibilities as requested
4. Back-up to the Accounts Payable Department - 15% of time
- Act as the primary back-up to the Accounts Payable Department with the weekly accounts payable cycle
- Review invoice batches for accuracy and compliance with policies
- Process the accounts payable cycle at least monthly
- Assist with the virtual credit card program as needed by entering manual vendor payments or other responsibilities.
- Manage new or existing credit card requests.
- Assist in reviewing monthly purchase card statements for compliance as needed.
6. Non-Resident Alien (NRA) payroll and tax compliance - 10% of time
- Assist the Business Office with responsibilities related to NRAs.
- Assist NRA students in online tax compliance system set up, informational sessions, and tax sessions to ensure tax coding is applied appropriately.
7. General Office Responsibilities - 5% of time
- Provide assistance to employees and students, including verification of employment, and answering other questions that may arise.
- Prepare unclaimed property data, including contacting employees and students to replace or cash any uncashed checks and provide findings to the Business Office to report unclaimed property to state based on dormancy period.
- Attend meetings.
- Collect mail and order office supplies.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Skill / Requirements
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Knowledge and possession of high professional standards and a personal code of ethics characterized by honesty, integrity, openness, and fairness
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Infor software
- Skill in payroll processing
- Skill in benefits programs
- Skill in using computer applications, including word processing and spreadsheet software
- Skill in completing tasks accurately and with attention to detail
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly
- Skill in data entry/retrieval
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Ability to identify and correct variances
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people from varying backgrounds and interests
- Ability and willingness to support and contribute to an atmosphere of professionalism, responsibility, and respect
- Ability to support and contribute to an atmosphere of professionalism, responsibility, and respect
- Ability to always greet clients in a polite, courteous and helpful manner
- Ability and willingness to support, respect and commit to embracing diverse backgrounds, values and points of view to build a strong and inclusive community including faculty, staff, students and constituents
- Desired Qualifications:
Please apply on company site